Environmental Impact Report
The City of Oakland’s Bureau of Planning is in the process of drafting an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the proposed Head-Royce School (HRS) expansion development. By statute, HRS must follow the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) process to obtain final approval from the City of Oakland.
The City wants to hear from the public about what should be included in the EIR. City Planners seek comments and questions from residents of Oakland neighborhoods and commuters about what they see as potential impacts of the project on the physical environment - including topics such as traffic, fire safety, trees, biology, geology, hydrology, construction process duration and equipment, and other areas of environmental concern. The City also encourages submission of ideas for minimizing adverse effects from the eight-acre development and proposed increase in school enrollment from the current level of 884 students to 1,250 students.
HRS’ plan includes:
- grading, earthwork and tree removal
- building demolition and new construction
- a 15,900 square foot Performing Arts Center for 450 seats
- interim housing for faculty and staff
- construction of an internal road along the perimeter of the property within feet of neighboring houses
- a tunnel under Lincoln Avenue to link the two campuses
- another stoplight on Lincoln Avenue, and the addition of 61 on-site parking spaces.
- reconfiguration of lanes on Lincoln Avenue to accommodate left turns
All comments must be received by March 11, 2019, 5:00 p.m.
Mail comments to:
Rebecca Lind, Planner III
City of Oakland Bureau of Planning
250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Suite 2114
Oakland, CA 94612
or by email to: email@example.com
Include case number PLN18532-ER01 in your comments.
Two Important Meetings Where You Can Voice Your Concerns and Suggestions on Preparation of the EIR
- The City of Oakland Planning Commission public meeting February 20, 2019 at 6 p.m. Hearing Room #1 City Hall, 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza.
- The City of Oakland Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board public meeting March 11, 2019, 6:00 p.m. in Hearing Room #1, City Hall, 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza.
Read the Notice of Preparation (NOP) of Draft EIR from the Bureau of Planning.
Read more details on the Preliminary HRS Development Plan submitted to the City, December, 2018.